Friday, November 9, 2012

Everyone's gotta start somewhere...

When you start working in business, you can't just jump in and become the CEO. When you start acting, you can't just expect that you'll get a call asking you to be in the next big Blockbuster hit of the summer. When you run for public office for the first time, you can't assume that you'll be able to get elected as president of the United States right off the bat. When you start working at any company or in any profession, you can't just walk in and conclude that they want you to run the place.

It's a simple concept, but one I've been struggling with a lot lately.

I want to be an author. That's my dream, and I don't want to give up on it. But it's so hard to devote my time to writing when I have nothing to show for it yet, especially when I feel like I should be contributing to my family's finances.

"What do you do?"
"I'm an author."
"Really? Would I have read anything of yours."
"Well, no. I'm not exactly published yet."

How can you be an author if you aren't published? I want to be able to point to a physical object and say, "Look. See that? I wrote that." I want to be able to look at my bank account and say, "Yes. I do get a check from my work. Everything I do does pays off."

I know I have to start at the bottom, and I have to develop my talents and get discovered, but it can just be so discouraging sometimes.

I'm so grateful for my husband, who will never let me abandon my dreams. He encourages me when I start to doubt myself, and he is willing to do whatever it takes to support me.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica struggle with that sometimes. it's easier now that I actually get paid to do something.

    ReplyDelete