Thursday, November 29, 2012

Maps

I've made a discovery:
One of the problems I've been having is that I don't clearly see WHERE my story is taking place. The setting has been of a secondary importance--up until I realized that it shouldn't be--which is making it hard to really get a sense of the world I'm creating.
How can I understand the relationships between my characters, the society they live in, or their reactions to things, if I don't even fully understand where they are living?

So, today, I am going to devote my time to writing out the setting for my novel. I'm going to write detailed descriptions of the town, the school, etc, and then I am going to draw out some maps. Maybe I'll even draw in a bit more detail the world I am creating.

My readers may never see this supplemental information, but it will help my story become a lot more full and realistic if I know what the heck I'm talking about.  

1 comment:

  1. you can just be like J.R.R. Tolkien and add them as appendices that are of a length comparable to the book itself

    ReplyDelete