Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dialogue


One of the things I am really good at is writing dialogue. I don't often get to toot my own horn, so I'm going to go ahead and do it today. 

Many people have told me that I write really realistic and funny conversations between my characters. Now, I'm not so good at other things, such as describing the scene, filling characters' thoughts with emotional responses, or describing action, so I've been thinking that maybe I should divert my efforts to writing screenplays instead of novels. 

But, while I'm contemplating a major shift in my career aspirations, I'm going to make a pathetic confession: My favorite night of the week is Thursday night. Want to know why? It's because Thursdays are when new episodes of The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and hopefully soon, Community come out. And, I can watch Modern Family on hulu before the fun starts at 8 pm. 

Isn't it sad that my life seems to revolve around these TV shows?

Well, first of all, it doesn't. I don't actually watch much TV besides this, so I think it's okay to indulge myself once a week. And secondly, these shows are so well-written and funny that I really look to them as inspiration in my own writing. I write good dialogue because I've grown up watching smart TV. 

Every author has a list of his or her influences, and mine just happens to include funny TV shows. Obviously, not exclusively, but still. Arrested Development, The Simpsons, and Gilmore Girls are also brilliant contributors to my genius. 

I feel like my life is just a little sad by admitting this. But let me give you an example: 
"Stale pastry is hallow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich."
--The Big Bang Theory

Hilarious, right? 

Anyway, that's my thought for the day. 

And to my mom, and all other like-minded English teachers who bemoan the loss of culture in the younger generations: Cheer up. Culture is just shifting. I agree it's sad that people don't read the classics (or any books, for that matter) as much as they used to, but the human spirit will always need a creative outlet, an escape from everyday life. Culture isn't disappearing: it's just shifting. For better or worse, I guess that remains to be seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment