Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Apathy

Some days, I just don't think I can write anything new.

I spent this morning talking about my books with my dad. I didn't really get any new ideas or plot points, but we did bounce some philosophical ideas off of each other (what the point of literature is, how you should treat your reader, what makes a great story, etc). It was certainly a valuable discussion, but I'm just not feeling motivated to write anymore today. I feel like talking was enough, and I'm not sure that it was...

I haven't decided yet if it's good to force yourself to write when you don't have anything to say. I know it's good to write every day, just to keep your creative juices flowing, but should you work on an actual story? If it's forced, you'll probably have to go back and edit the crap out of it anyway...So the question is: Is is less time consuming to edit something terrible OR to write something good from the get go?

Maybe I'll work on other things--like character sketches, background stories, physical descriptions of physiological experiences...maybe no one will ever see them, but who cares? Maybe, after I'm dead and really famous, my husband or children will send my sketches and unpublished ramblings to my publisher, and they can continue benefiting from my brilliance after I'm gone. Rake in the cash, right? Oh, and practice my skills as a writer. Obviously that's important too...

I guess I'll go write some more...I just wish I knew where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment