Monday, October 29, 2012

Editing

One of the "joys" of being an author is the constant amount of editing you have to do.

So, I finished my first novel, or collection of short stories, a while ago. I set it aside for a little bit and worked on other projects so that I could look at it with new eyes once I was ready to keep working on it. I've since picked it up again, and I've reached a somewhat disheartening conclusion: I'm not finished yet.

I need to tie my stories together. I am pretty happy with my short stories at this point, but I need to write something more. Perhaps one story with one set of characters that I can intersperse with my other unconnected stories, to make it more...I don't know. I have to keep thinking about.

I thought I was done writing and moved on to just editing, but I guess I was wrong. I'm not done. Not yet.

You're never really done with a story. There are always ways you can improve. I just hope I will some day get this project to the point where I'm happy sending it in to an editor to publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment